Dates: August 2021
Location: Delft, The Netherlands
Price: € 395
Tutor: Durk Steenhuizen
Think out-of-the-box using fundamental knowledge, principles in combination with learnings from an actual design process!
Do you want to steer up your knowledge and skills in design engineering? Are you interested in taking a challenge in creating a complex design product working through all the stages from scratching it to getting a comprehensive model?
Join this course and you will get an opportunity to design a completely new product under the guidance of an experienced tutor and design engineer! This new knowledge and set of skills will allow you to broaden your expertise in design engineering, structure the design planning process and become competent in the development of a step-by-step initial design plan.
The course is intended for engineers with different levels of expertise in the industry (from beginner to professional) who want to expand their knowledge and gain new practical skills of the start- to- end design processes of an innovative and complex high-tech product. This course is an introduction to basic concepts and practical techniques of aircraft structural analysis with case studies.
During these 4 days you will: work on your new design in collaboration with other engineers learning from the presenter and each other; present your team work in the class; receive immediate feedback from the presenter, have a tour to one of the innovative companies in the Netherlands and the Technical University of Delft (TU/d)*
You will get a great opportunity to expand your knowledge while practically applying it, increase your professional network and get useful contacts!
See you in Delft!
* Activities will depend on the possibilities of the receiving parties and the current situation with the COVID-19 and the consequent rules
Durk Steenhuizen is an experienced professional in aerospace engineering and design of complex systems. He works as a Design Engineer in the innovation technology company Ampyx Power in the Netherlands, on a par with Shell and Makani.
In his current role, he is leading the design process of the landing gear for a new, unmanned aircraft that is currently being developed: from conceptual idea to production testing.
Before starting a career in the industry, he has been working as a lecturer and a researcher for many years at one of the largest technical universities in the world, the Technical University of Delft in the Netherlands. Durk has a Master`s degree in Aerospace design engineering and he is currently working on his PhD paper about morphing high-lift systems. In different years he has been a speaker at various conferences, including AWEC, ICAST, AIAA and wrote a number of publications in scientific literature and media.
This course will:
- Cover the design process of a complex system, such as aircraft landing gear, heat dissipation system, industrial process, etc.
- Treat the process all the way from the initial conceptual design down to detail design, providing a holistic view on the design process, illustrating the interaction between the different phases in this process
- Provide a comprehensive theoretical foundation of design processes
- Introduce to you a set of methods to understand and choose the most promising conceptual design at an early phase when little information is available about the merits of the ensuing final product
- Allow you to execute/ do an in-class assignment in groups with other participants to put into practice the illustrated material and receive the presenter`s feedback
- Provide an opportunity for you to make personal contact with professionals from your field and expand your network internationally
- Allow you to learn about daily working processes in a European modern technological company
- Introduction and Overview
- What is a design process: Different forms of the process, phases, boundary conditions
- Understanding the design process at hand
- Structuring, design interfaces, contingency
- Assignment: Treat example of “complex” design problem; decompose the problem in N2 chart; create design “hierarchy” with master/slave distinction
- Design process automation
- Parameterization of design
- Effect of topology
- Generative design models
- Knowledge-Based Engineering
- Setup of a design methodology
- Knowledge capture
- Design optimisation: Basic unconstrained optimisation
- Design constraints, Feasilisation, MDO optimisation, Coordination
- Assignment: Apply automation concepts to complex design problem of the previous day, set-up MDO / coordination architecture
- Design in an actual design department
- Design legislation (“airworthiness”)
- Quality management systems
- Design review processes
- Knowledge capture and retention
- Phases in the design process (Conceptual, preliminary, detailed)
- Decision gates
- Assignment: make “planning” of the design approach, taking consideration of actual (corporate) organisation aspects; identify phases, milestones, decision points; how design integration is managed/handled
- Feedback session
- Guided tour at the Technical University of Delft (TU Delft) *
- Visit to a technological company in the Netherlands *
- Free time
*Activities will depend on the possibilities of the receiving parties and the current situation with the COVID-19 and the consequent rules
- Individual online consultation with Mr. Steenhuizen on one of your actual design problems
- Feedback on your knowledge, skills and qualification for an engineering position in a high-tech, innovative company or an educational organization
Course & COVID-19 Safety Measures
Your health and wellbeing is a major priority for us. We follow the guidelines and instructions provided by the global and local authorities and ask all our participants to do the same. Cleaners, sanitizers, and disinfectants will be distributed, we will arrange a space for keeping a safe distance between all the guests. At the venue, we will arrange a quick check-up such as temperature testing to make sure no one has any COVID-19 signs.
|4 Days: 14-17 March 2021||€ 395*|
|4 Days: 28-31 March 2021||€ 395*|
* 355 if you register before 01/01/2021
The price includes:
- The course and all supporting materials
- Individual online consultation with Durk Steenhuizen after the course
- Lunch and coffee-breaks
- Group transfer
Additional Opportunities (not included in the price):
- Consultation with Mr. Steenhuizen on your professional questions, challenges. Guidance on your scientific or practical work.
- Welcome Dinner
- Visa & Travel expenses
Change & Cancellation Policy
No refund in case you cancel the registration.
No transfers to another person after registration is completed.
If you live in a non-EU country and want to travel to the Netherlands you might need a visa. Here you could determine whether you need a visa. Please tick “90 days or less” in the first question. Or just send us an email and we will advise you.
Usually, visa type required to attend our courses: Short-term business visa. But it would be better to make a double check at you local Consulate / VFS Center. We provide a standard visa invitation letter for our applicants after the receipt of a guarantee deposit from the applicant.
Please go to your local Consulate / VFS website and make an appointment. Sometimes you can make an appointment only 1-2 months in advance. We recommend doing that as soon as possible and then proceed to Step 2.
Please learn more about the list of all the required documents (usually, those documents are listed on the website of your local Consulate / VFS. This list also includes visa invitation letter that we send. Usually, we send a visa invitation letter within 1-3 days after receiving the required pre-payment from the applicant.
With the full list of documents and completed visa application form, you have to go to the local Consulate/VFS on the appointment day and submit them. The fee for the visa might differ depending on the country where you apply. VFS might also apply an extra charge for their services.
We strongly recommend to check all the documents before the submission and make sure you provide the correct information to the Consulate and in that case you most probably will receive a visa without any difficulties.
If you have any questions, we would be happy to assist at any stage of your application!